Last December Logan was evaluated for speech. He was only talking in vowel sounds, with mom and dad being the only true words he was saying. When he was evaluated they said his speech is at an 18 month level. He is 2 1/2. Thats a whole year that he is behind.
Fortunately we have a good program through the state and we've been having a speech therapist coming to our home once a week since January to work with Logan. Logan is loving having Ms. Amanda come play with him for an hour. He loves working on puzzles with her, although sometimes he gets frustrated when she withholds a toy to try to get him to speak, I have noticed that he is trying a lot harder to talk. Don't get me wrong, he talks a lot, it's just a lot of babble or only words I understand. Now he is trying harder to make consonants sounds and attach those to his vowels.
This program goes until he turns 3. Then they will test him again to see if he qualifies for preschool through the school district. Tanner did this program as well and graduated when he turned 3. I have a feeling though that Logan will most likely continue on to preschool.
I have to admit that by not really talking, it makes Logan seem like he is still my baby. Which since he is most likely my last child I secretly love, because talking makes them seem that much older. But I'm proud of how hard he is trying and I know it won't be long till he's talking like the rest of them!

No comments:
Post a Comment