One of Brad’s bucket list items was to compete in LOTOJA. LOTOJA is a 200 mile bike race that goes from Brad’s home town of Logan, Utah to Jackson Hole, Wyoming. It takes you through the mountains of Idaho into beautiful Star Valley and riding along the snake River. When Brad and I were in Utah we drove this route so Brad could get a feel for it, and it’s absolutely stunning. And one perk of the national quarantine due to covid was the fact that Brad had plenty of time to train for this monumental bike race.
Since Brad was still working from home it worked out nicely that he could leave for Utah a week before the race and just worked from home there. This way he could prepare for the race more easily. I so wish I could have come, but it was the first week back Face 2 Face at the school, and the kids just couldn’t miss it. I had to be a cheerleader from hundreds of miles away.
The night before the race he slept over at his cousins place in Logan. Brad had to be at the starting line early so it was nice to be so close. It was a cold morning so he was thankful he had all of his warm gear going through the first canyon.
Brad’s parents were his support team! Meaning that during designated check points they would give him some food and refill his water bottle.
Here’s a video they took at the first stop point.
You couldn’t ask for a more beautiful day for a bike race, the weather was perfect.
I’ll admit I was extremely anxious all day waiting to here of any news. I was constantly checking his gps tracking coordinates as well as the LOTOJA app to check his progress. I knew he would kill it, but it didn’t help my nerves any less.
My whole family came to Jackson for the weekend to cheer Brad on and so when I saw Brad was close to the finish line I FaceTimed my mom and it couldn’t have been more perfect timing because he was the second bicyclist I saw. Literally just a minute after I got on the call. It was amazing to see him, I teared up watching him ride across the finish line. All his hard work and preparation lead to this exact moment of accomplishment. And although I couldn’t be there in person I was so thankful to watch it through technology.
Thankful to MaryKate for taking this awesome video of Brad crossing the finish line!
Brad’s goal was to ride it in under 12 hours. He accomplished his goal! (10 1/2 hours not including stops)
He said the last 20 miles was the hardest just wanting to be done, but that medal at the end was worth it! So incredibly proud!
Dinner Celebrations!!
After Brad got back to Utah, Ryan and Sasha had a fun backyard celebration for him. So fun!
Well after all is said and done Brad loved it, and was so glad he did it, but said he won’t do it again.
That is until a few days later when he kept talking about what he’ll do different next time...












No comments:
Post a Comment