Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Pearl Harbor & Dole Plantation

Pearl Harbor
On September 12 Brad and I went to Pearl Harbor. I felt that this was very appropriate since the day before was September 11, the 9th anniversary of the greatest attack to America. An attack of which hasn't been seen by Americans since the day of infamy: December 7, 1941. The attack on Pearl Harbor.

Pearl Harbor is a very serene place that holds the upmost respect for the lives lost and forever changed on that day.
The sunken USS Arizona battleship has become a Memorial to commemorate all military personal killed during the Pearl Harbor Attack. The Memorial is above the sunken battleship and you can see the eerie ship below the water.

Over 1,177 men were killed on the USS Arizona and is many of the crews final resting place. The first thing I noticed when we reached the memorial was the smell. It smelled of oil. You can still see it in the water. The ship,69 years later, is still leaking oil.
(Picture of part of the ship protruding from the water)







The events on that day changed so many lives. I know it did mine, because my Grandfather served in the South Pacific during WWII. I am so grateful for all the valiant military who serve to defend our country.

Dole Plantation

After Pearl Harbor we went to see the famous Dole Plantation and to try their famous pineapple ice cream. It did not disappoint!
We went on a little train around the plantation and although the history was interesting the plantation itself was a little disappointing. Most of what we saw was barren fields and a few trees. Oh well. It was still fun to ride the little train.



2 comments:

Jay and Emily said...

Your trip to Hawaii looks awesome! It looks like the weather was wonderful. The pineapple at the Dole Plantation is heavenly. I am also so thankful for all those who serve and currently serve our wonderful country. I am so happy you guys took the trip -- it truly looks so fun!

Rachel said...

What a vacation! I bet you guys needed a break when you got home!