Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Pompeii- the Final Day 13

September 16

Pompeii

On our last day we decided to take a day trip to see the ancient city of Pompeii.  Its about a 2 hour train ride to Naples and then a half hour train ride to Pompeii. On our ride to Pompeii we were on a really crowded train ride, and looking back I fell into the classic scenario for pick picketers.  They maneuvered me away from Brad and into the middle of the train.  Of course at the time it didn't feel like that it just felt like we were on a busy train, but nonetheless after the train had quieted down I noticed that my purse was fully unzipped and my phone was missing.  Of course on our last day I had forgotten to lock my purse.  I was sick to my stomach.

When we first arrived in Pompeii Brad and I found a wifi spot and with his phone deactivated mine so the thieves couldn't rake up charges, as well as change my passwords to everything.  It was extremely heartbreaking to lose all those pictures we had taken throughout the trip, but thankful that most of our pictures where on my camera and also that they didn't take anything else that was in my purse.

So having my phone stolen kindof put a sour note on the trip, but we really did enjoy Pompeii.

Pompeii was an ancient Roman town that was buried in ash following the eruption of mount Vesuvius in 79 AD.  For this reason Pompeii is one of the most preserved ancient Roman cities.  
Pompeii's Temple of Jupiter with Vesuvius in the background.
The volcano isn't as close to the city as I thought it would be.  Its a good 5 or so miles away.

listening to our walking tour.  We did the walking tour that Pompeii had to offer and wasn't nearly as good as the walking tours we had downloaded, but since my phone was stolen...


One of the first known fast food places.  The holes in the countertops was where they put their jars of food and underneath was hot coals to keep the food warm.
How they decorated their walls.
Is it horrible to be fascinated by such a tragic event?  In this pyramid (which is in the middle of the arena) was where the plaster cast exhibit was held. 

When pompeii was rediscovered and excavations began in the 1800's archeologists found occasional voids in the ash layer that contained human remains.  One archeologist realized these spaces were left by the decomposed bodies and devised the technique of injecting plaster into them to recreate the haunting forms of Vesuvius victims.

the tortured bodies of those who didn't escape in time.  In 2010 a study proved that the 2,000 victims of Vesuvius died from extreme heat rather then suffocation from ash as previously thought.

This couple breaks my heart.  


As does this mother with her children.
the best preserved ancient amphitheater.



a beautiful courtyard with a fireplace in the background left from an old house.
Inside one of the rooms to the house










The hot baths.  Reminded us of Turkey and the Hamams.  Very similar.

A storage room of some of the ancient artifacts.
and then they left this haunting figure next to the clay pots.

as well as the body of this 4 year old boy.

 On the train ride back to Naples we drove right under this active volcano.  It was spurting steam everywhere, and is expected to erupt any day.
From Naples we took the train back to Rome so we could catch our flight early the next day.  On our train ride we sat next to a Canadian.  It was fun talking to him and one of the things that he brought up in our conversation was what we thought of Donald Trump running in the presidential election.  He was not the only person to ask us this during our trip and it surprised me at how many people from different countries follow our politics, mostly because I don't follow other countries politics and wonder why they would follow ours.  I asked him this and he said its because America is going to take over the world.  I was a little surprised by that, but really everywhere we went they listened to American music. Talked in English, watch our Hollywood movies.  At least in regards to the entertainment industry I guess we are taking over.

Our trip was definitely a dream come true.  We saw so many places that I had always dreamed of going, but never thought I would, and we went to places that I'd never even thought of going too.  Italy is a place that everyone must go to in their lifetime!

Its been a hard year, and this was a much needed getaway for Brad and I to celebrate and to reconnect. I couldn't have asked for anything better.

No comments: