Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Allergies and Asthma

Before Brad left to go out of town for 3 weeks, he taught Carson how to mow the lawn.  Carson has been wanting to mow the lawn for a while now to earn some extra money for our upcoming DisneyWorld trip.  He was so excited and had no problems the time that Brad taught him, but his first time doing it solo he complained of difficulty breathing.  I thought he was just trying to get out of doing the job, so I made him take a break drink some water and come back to finish the job.  He came back and immediately complained of difficulty breathing and went into a big coughing fit that lasted quite awhile.  It was then I realized he was having an asthma attack.
I scheduled an appointment with his pediatrician who diagnosed him with allergy induced asthma and referred me to a specialist to have him tested.  The allergist took some breathing tests to determine how bad his asthma was and if he is full blown asthmatic or just allergy induced.  The tests confirmed it was just allergy.  Which can be treatable/reversible.
 
She also wanted to see what Carson was allergic too, so we came back the following week for the skin prick test.  Out of 54 things he was allergic to 46.  So almost everything!  He's allergic to almost all trees and grasses in Texas, except pine.  He's allergic to dust and cats.  The doctor has us doing some treatments at home to help alleviate the symptoms, but has suggested that he get allergy shots about twice a week to hopefully outgrow his allergies so he doesn't become full blown asthmatic.

I knew he had seasonal allergies, but it did seem like it was all year and not one particular season.  I didn't know how bad he really had it! It was sad to see him get pricked so many times and to be in pain.  Hopefully the allergy shots work and helps him so he doesn't have to suffer through life with horrible allergies!


No comments: