Wednesday, June 23, 2021

BTSR: Mountain Men Edition

The first thing when I picked Carson up from camp, the person who drove Carson, grabbed my arm and told the first first few days of camp Carson was homesick.  Really homesick, he said.  I was surprised. I didn't think Carson to be the type to get homesick, plus he's been on quite a few weekend campouts I didn't think being gone a whole week would be that much different to him.  But he said, by the end of the trip Carson and just a few other boys hiked up a Mountain and slept under the stars.  Everyone was so proud of him.









Here's the message I got from his scout master during that week: 


“Took a small group of scouts to campout at the top of the mountain under the stars.  We hiked 4 miles to the top with nothing but a burrito (sadly best meal of the week), 2 water bottles, and a sleeping bag.  Boys slept on the ground and filled up water from a spring.  At the top we met up with some mountain men.”


“True grit.  Mountain man edition.  These boys hiked out and slept under the stars.  Some real mountain men.”

But Carson was killing me with his goofy hat on! He really looked like a mountain man with that on🤣
Him and his friends called his hat The Holy Hat, not sure why he said there was no real reason except it was a cool hat. 
(They had a funny hat day easily in the week, but apparently Carson was the only one who brought one.)



Last day at camp they got so sick of camp food (I truly don’t blame them it looked disgusting) that they ordered pizza! Carson said it was the best pizza ever!

Carson didn’t tell me too much of what he did, but he did tell me he got this thing badge for the Mountain men hike that he did. I assumed all the boys who did it got one, until they posted a video of the award ceremony. Thankful for the leaders for posting all the pictures they took this week! It’s the only way I got a glimpse of what went on! 


Carsons Scout Master passed out only a few awards to a handful of the scouts. And it made me that much more proud of Carson. In case you can’t watch the video, Carson got the perseverance award! For starting the week off incredibly homesick to bring one of the few to climb the mountain and sleep under the stars ✨ 


After a long quiet week at home with Carson gone, and anxious to hear how the week went, we finally got to pick him up! All he wanted was a big fat hamburger. Glad to finally have him home, but thankful he got to have some great adventures and to be able to make some wonderful memories.

No comments: