
On Thursday our small town of Morenci/Clifton had quite the scare. A valve was accidentally opened and Sulfuric Acid ran down the dry creek bed instead of water. Thousands of gallons of a blue/green ooze ran from Morenci to Clifton (the small town next to Morenci) and was headed to the River. Workers were trying to hurry and dam the acid before it reached the San Francisco River. Brad didn't have to do too much to help with the cleanup. Which I was surprised because his job is "Health and Safety" but I guess it was more of an environmental problem then Health. Brad did deliver supplies like respirators masks and eye washing solutions to the clean up crew.
(Pictures taken from abc news)
Above is a picture of my work (not the ugly mobile home, but the red building next to it). This "river" of acid ran right underneath my work building. We had so many people outside our building trying to clean up the damage. At first we were wondering what was going on. When we realized what was going on, next it was the panic of will it hurt the pregnant lady and a two month old baby (my boss's wife had recently had a baby). Fortunately the amount of acid that was running was in no way harmful to either of us. Luckily I had a doctors appointment that day and I double checked with my doctor who assured me that it would in no way harm the baby.
Having this incident happen was as some people said the most excitement our town has had in years. There were people sitting outside watching the cleanup crew and it seemed to go along with the halloween spirit.
3 comments:
I am glad there will be no lasting effects to your or Sarah's baby. I didn't know anyone got pictures of the spill, the acid is so blue! Glad you're ok.
Oh my heck! That is so crazy- I can't believe how colorful it is!
I can't believe that Em! I'm glad that everything is still okay w/ your baby.
Post a Comment